Foundations of Disability Employment Policy
Lesson 1: Foundations of Disability Employment Policy
- Participants will understand the federal policies that created the foundation for effective disability employment policy that prioritizes competitive integrated employment (CIE). These policies include:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Final Settings Rule
- Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act
- Participants will understand the history of the Olmstead v. LC federal settlement agreement and its impact on disability employment policy.
- Participants will understand the state-level elements that promote effective Employment First practices. These elements include:
- Executive orders, legislation, state agency policies, and memorandums of understanding (MOU)
- Flexible and outcomes-oriented service models
- Employment First coalitions
- Participants will understand the roles that Developmental Disabilities Councils can play within effective Employment First coalitions.